Robusto digs Reality

Yeah, its fun.

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Adjustment

I dunno, since, as I update this blog very infrequently and I have generally nothing of any general interest to say, I can confidently stride into blogville, pull out my e-six shooter and fire off round after round down the streets and hear nothing but oooeeoooeeoooo wah-wah-wah, I will be blunt.

There is no way that a person can be well-adjusted. There is no way that a person can walk around in America and be comfortable. There is no way that a person can work in a place of business and not be fucked over by some image coming through over the radar dish, telling them to buy a blender that can make cooking ten times easier. That's just the breaks. It just makes me feel sad that there are huge swaths of our fine country (I live in the United States of America, FYI) that are simply too poluted to walk the streets in. I mean, its not that people don't do it. But those people generally don't have a choice. I mean, there are parts of the Bronx where grafiti is just a natural bi-product of the oxygen/brick chemical reaction. Sad but true.

Fact: Old people in Spain who live far up in the northern mountains are getting satellite dishes installed on their sun-baked tile rooves. Good work, Hollywood. You got a real buyer there. Those people are going to keep the media industry rolling. But the joke is on you, Rupert Murdoch, because as soon as a cut rate satellite dish company comes out, they are going to be all over that like dieters to angel's food cake cookies.

Fact: Swedes on cruises from Helsinki to Stockholm love to read Danielle Steele novels translated into Swedish. That's right, they have Danielle now. And we thought we had her all to ourselves. Jokes on us, she was playing us. This whole time... No I'm not crying, these are sweat glands under my eyes. They just get inflamed sometimes.

Fact: Europe is named after a cow.

Fact: I am pretty much out of facts.

Fact: I have discovered that you don't need to have any facts to write sentences that are explanatory. You just need a linking verb.

Oh yeah, so I was saying that its really impossible for a person to be adjusted to a society like this one (once again, I refer to the USA). You have to remember, if nothing else, that this is a society built on not adjusting. Look around you and you will see everywhere the cracks in the facade. (Full Disclosure: the previous sentence was stolen indirectly from Jean Baudrillard). Anyhow, my point is this: we are not in an "adjustment" society. People are all too happy to change themselves in various ways and then celebrate (through sever punishment) their rapid, often dangerous swings back to their natural selves. We are a self-medicating, self-help, self-service, self-support group society that selfishly self-annhilates through a suffocating inundation of garbage. And I love it!

No, really, I do. I mean, there are moments when I wonder how people got to be so blind to the world outside of their heads. But then I just go home and put on the TV and all that wondering just goes away! Like Magic! But in the end, I still love America, not for the people ,but for the dogs, because American dogs are very straightforward, amiable creatures. If you piss them off, they let you know. If you feed them, they become lasting friends, and if you come home from a horrible day they don't hold it against you.

Oh who am I kidding, this is a farce! This whole thing is a farce! Oh dear lord! Why are we one phase away from revolution but always revolving back into FAO Schwartz?! Why are we forever listening to the same muzak (copyright, muzak corporation not retained for this usage, all pending lawsuits should be filed with my lawyer Aaron Abramowitz (disclaimer: may not be a real lawyer, or if real may not know who I am))? Anyhow, let me say this: I am not against making a buck, even though I know someone had to die or get needlessly exploited so that that buck could be worth something. I can tell you this, I like being able to come home to a warm house at night and sit in front of a glowing piece of plastic and move my hands while little shapes appear in the two-dimmensional space before my eyes.

Aww shucks. Now, I'm blushing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home